Friday, January 15, 2010

Guest Poet: Dottie Ward-Wimmer

In addition to teaching writing on the college level, I work privately with poetry, fiction and trade publication authors.

I have been working with Dottie Ward-Wimmer for the last few months. She is a beginning poet with great wisdom and attention to detail. I was struck by the precise image of hope in the following poem. Here, hope is both held and created by an individual human. Dottie was kind enough to allow me to share this poem with you. I expect that this is her first of many future publications.


Praying

Gentle cup
     made of hands,
holds hope
     while rage sifts through…



About the Author:


Dottie Ward-Wimmer is an ordinary woman: mother, grandmother, nurse, play therapist and now, poet. She was born in New Jersey and raised her children there. Later, she moved to the DC area to work with children who had experienced trauma. In 2004 Chambersburg, PA, beckoned, so she settled there and still works with kids part time. Although degrees on the wall are from Georgian Court College and New York University, nature and the people in her life are her real teachers.


Interested in a private writing coach? Here is how it works:  You email me a few pages of writing a day before our phone appointment, which is when we discuss the work in detail. Our conversations are led by your needs. Some authors are more interested in the overall organization of a larger piece, other people want to focus on particular images or the craft of writing. I suggest outside reading, writing exercises and other resources as need and requested. If you are interested in working with me, please email me for more details: Chloemiller(at)gmail(dot)com.

No comments: