Monday, January 18, 2010

Poem "The View" published on AnnArbor.com

Thank you to AnnArbor.com for publishing my poem The View.

I started this poem in graduate school at Sarah Lawrence College. It is about my mother, a professional photographer, who used to ask me to help her on photography shoots. I loved looking through the camera and seeing the world the way she did.

Growing up, my mother always encouraged me to look at my surroundings and really see them. When we were somewhere new, she’d remind me to look up and even turn around to see the view from that angle. We used to go to see exhibits in New York City and stand in front of modern art paintings and discuss what we saw.

It was an amazing education. Thank you, Mom, for the poem and the experiences.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Your words painted a neat picture of how carefully Mel captures images. And your experience growing up. Very Nice.

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

Thank you so much!