Thursday, April 1, 2010

National Poetry Month: Day 1 of Writing a Poem a Day


Happy National Poetry Month!

Today is the first day of National Poetry Month. The challenge: Integrate poetry into your life this month and beyond.

I will be participating in the month’s festivities by writing a poem a day. This challenge feels both invigorating and daunting. I write often, although I don’t always write every day. Like most people, I have a schedule that makes it hard to carve out time. That said, I am committed to (re)beginning a daily writing practice. Will you join me?

You don’t need a fancy journal, computer program or anything other than a pen and a piece of paper. Write freely, don’t censor yourself and don’t worry if the drafts are just that – drafts that eventually need to be edited and revised. Final drafts need time to be molded.

What if your words turn into prose poems or even prose without poetry? No worry. Just write and save your drafts to review later.

To start with the day off right, I was happy to open an email from Poets.org to find the first “Poem-A-Day,” A Story by Philip Levine.

Incidentally, it is also April Fool’s Day and the anniversary of meeting my husband four years ago!

No comments: