Friday, April 2, 2010

Writing Prompt: Use Words From Another Field of Study

A writing prompt to help spur your imagination for today's poem: Look up a set of words in a field that is not your own. Work to integrate those new words into a poem. Some of the words might be familiar, but have different meanings in these contexts. As we know, every field has a jargon different from colloquial English. You never know what you'll find.

For example, my husband is a political scientist and does work on networks. Some of the words, which are familiar in different contexts, are used differently in this field. Through the list on this Wikipedia page, I am going to challenge myself to write something new and inventive. I invite you to try the same vocabulary or use another list of words.

Here are some other sets of vocabulary to consider. Of course, anything would work. If you find a great site, I hope you will share it with us.

Botany vocabulary

Astrology vocabulary

Sailing vocabulary

Production and Manufacturing vocabulary



How was writing yesterday?

I admit that I started to doubt my ability to write everyday immediately. With the piles of grading that are coming in as one school’s semester ends, I thought that perhaps I wouldn’t be able to do it. And with those doubts, I wrote the first draft of the first poem – about writing a poem a day.

I invite you to read the draft below. Please note the importance of the word “draft” and allow yourself the same freedom to try somethign new. Each poem we write together this month will be a draft, as we are writing them in just a single day. A final poem can take days, months, even years, to revise.

I hope you will share some of your poems with us. You are welcome to email them to me at ChloeMiller(at)gmail(dot)com and I will post them the next day.



Duty



The duty of writing a poem a day.

More exciting than laundry or washing dishes left to “soak”?

Poetry should be a walk on a black sand

beach on a Greek island in September.



This poetry month,

the To Do list grows like Alice and her boots.

The rabbit’s clock provides a tune,

as does the faucet’s leak

and the winged ant between the window panes.

But I said I’d do it.



Here is the first.

The duty of writing a poem a day.

2 comments:

Seth said...

I always thought the term "standard deviation" was a really trippy one if you think too hard about it.

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

That's great, Seth!