Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Writing Prompt: Salad Greens

Last night I prepared a salad: washed the lettuce and then added cannelloni beans, sliced tomato, avocado and then tossed it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Like Proust’s madeleine, I was brought somewhere else as I looked at the bowl. Specifically, I was brought back to my favorite restaurant in Florence, Italy. I remembered sitting at the wooden tables in the back garden with one of my best friends, laughing over a glass of house Chianti and occasionally killing a mosquito.

For today’s writing prompt, let your mind bring you someplace else. Cook, walk, read, clean, Google a town, look at old pictures, listen to music – do what you need to do to bring you back to a place and time.

Write for five to ten minutes without stopping. If you need to, close your eyes for a few minutes first to meditate on that place, what you were doing, what it looked like. As my mother, a photographer always reminds me, look around. Don’t just look ahead, but also look up and behind you. See what there is to see and share that with the reader. Your musings will bring you beyond simple description.

No comments: