Monday, January 31, 2011

AWP 2011: Washington, DC

I hope to see you in Washington, DC this week for the annual Association of Writers and Writing (AWP) Conference - this week! I will be presenting on the subject of teaching online along with other online writing instructors. As a former career counselor, I’m particularly interested in the career advancement aspect of this panel.

Here is the description of our panel:

Finding and Creating Online Teaching Opportunities—and Sustaining and Succeeding in Them
Erika Dreifus, Sage Cohen, Andrew Gray, Matthew Lippman, Chloe' Yelena Miller, and Scott Warnock
More than one in four college/university students now take at least one course online. While some writers teach in college and graduate writing programs, others have established their own, independent course offerings or teach through private organizations. Our panelists represent a range of professional experiences in online teaching, in prose and poetry, for-credit and not-for-credit. They will share strategies for finding (and creating) work and succeeding as online writing instructors.

Some background on my experience teaching online:

I started teaching writing at Hudson County Community College in Jersey City, NJ when I was in my final semester at Sarah Lawrence College’s MFA program in 2005. My early classes used Blackboard lightly until I taught blended course, Advanced Writing at Fairleigh Dickinson University, which met partly in person, partly online. I then transitioned to teaching completely online classes, such as Poetry Writing Your Family and Advanced Writing, over the January and summer breaks.

In 2008, I started teaching writing exclusively online for Fairleigh Dickinson University and later, Northampton Community College. In 2010, I began offering private, non-credit online classes to adults. I currently teach a combination of for-credit, university classes online and private monthly writing workshops online.

Thank you to Erika Dreifus for spearheading the panel proposal idea! I’m looking forward to sharing my ideas and learning from the other panelists.

If you’ve never been to an AWP conference before, I highly recommend it. With academic, informative and creative sessions on every writing topic imaginable, endless bookfair and the many readings, you’ll never be bored. It might take a few days to decompress afterwards, but it is worth it!

No comments: