Friday, January 28, 2011

Jumpstart Your Poetry and Writing Life with Sage Cohen

If you are considering writing poetry or are looking for invigorating creative writing exercises to help keep your poetry fresh and lively, I recommend poet Sage Cohen’s book Writing the Life Poetic. With writing prompts, definitions, sample poems and some of her own experiences, she quickly draws the reader into her world. 

I have been creating writing prompts for students and myself for years. Like all writers, I sometimes find myself repeating certain images, ideas and techniques. It is helpful to shake things up once in a while by trying something new. My favorite part of Writing the Life Poetic was Sage Cohen’s large collection of writing prompts that pushed my writing in new directions. You can read some of them on her blog.

I haven’t yet read Sage Cohen’s newest book, The Productive Writer: Tips & Tools to Help You Write More, Stress Less & Create Success, although I look forward to it. I’ve been following the connected blog Path of Possibility and am not only reminded, but also encouraged, to continue to live a full creative life.

I look forward to meeting Sage Cohen, and others, at the Association of Writers and Writing Programs at AWP next month, when we present on a panel together. Any questions I should ask her? 

No comments: