Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Readings & Literary Events in Portland, Oregon

 
I quite love Portland, Oregon. The bookstores, coffee, treats and landscape are always welcoming.

We make a point to visit at least one of the Powell’s bookstores when we are in town. The main store is literally a city block of books, new and used. It is the largest poetry section I’ve ever seen outside of a university library and I always leave with a new find.

Based on a list of local reading series I found at the bookstore and some research, here is a list of the ones that stood out. (Please comment below if you have any to recommend, remove or better links to provide.)


Here are some other Portland, Oregon, area events:

Open Mikes:

For even more, check out the Reading Local: Portland blog. Finally, you might be interested in Literary Arts. 

I look forward to attending a reading during a summer visit to the west coast this year. Which ones are your favorites?

2 comments:

Angie said...

Great links, Chloe. Thanks. I, too, love Portland and try to make it up there at least once a year.

Powell's is a must, of course, but on past visits to Portland I've usually been more focused on food, restaurants, & coffee and haven't made it any readings. And because I'm only in town for a day or two, invariably I look at the Powell's Events Calendar and find I have just missed someone I would have loved to have seen (Margaret Atwood, Jhumpa Lahiri, China Miéville).

But now that I have your list I can do a little advance planning and schedule my visit around readings instead.

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

Thanks for reading, Angie. Isn't Portland great? I've done some food-blogging about it here: http://farelascarpetta.blogspot.com/search/label/Oregon

Stumptown Coffee was really fantastic. What's your favorite place?