Monday, February 7, 2011

Phew! AWP 2011 in Washington, D.C.

I spent this year's AWP conference attending panel discussions, readings and book parties. I presented, caught up with old friends, met new friends and wandered wide-eyed through the book room. I met with some new writing coach clients and presenting on a panel about teaching online.

It was a full, full couple of days and it will take me a bit to recover and go through the many materials I picked up and notes I jotted down. I think I left with enough books and literary journals to keep me reading until next year’s conference. That said, as overwhelming as the conference can be, it is always a great literary charge for the new year.

One of the best parts of the conference is going through the book room. If you weren’t able to attend, you might be interested in scrolling through the exhibitor list on the website. You’ll find small to large literary presses and journals, university and private writing programs, writing organizations and more.

Next year’s conference will be in Chicago from February 29 – March 3. The deadline for panel discussion proposals is this May, so it is time to start brewing your ideas. 

No comments: