Monday, August 15, 2011

Thanks to Concrete Wolf: A New Postcard Poem Project

One of the postcard images from my new Postcard Poetry Project

Learning  about Concrete Wolf’s Postcard Project prompted me to organize my work in a new direction. The Postcard Project asks participants to write an original poem a day and mail it to another participant. What a gift to be encouraged to write while being offered a paired postcard-poem each day. It has been an even bigger gift to discover the path to a new project.

I have many incomplete, unedited short poems on a single subject that I’ve been trying to figure out how to weave into a long poem. They were impressions of ideas, really, not complete poems. I created the project, “I think of Aunt Dora,” a series of nine short poems paired with photographs. The nine poems can be read in any order, but they are intended to be read together and considered in light of the nine different images. The poems consider themes of loss, humanity and mortality in light of contemporary, everyday activities. 

For the August Postcard Project, I continue to write new poems mostly on this same subject. I am reminded that the act of editing is altered, perhaps improved, by hand writing the poems onto the postcards. I notice something new each time and am reminded when I first started to write, and quite literally rewrite, revised poems in my lined journals. 

I have collected postcards since I was a child and I discovered my mother’s shoebox of art postcards she had been collecting from travels and museum trips. It seems exactly right to create new postcards, ones that tell the story of an individual, an era and a larger community, for this new project.

If you are interested in seeing or purchasing these postcard poems, you can find them for sale in my Etsy shop.  

Thank you again to Concrete Wolf for setting me along this path.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

received your postcard today Chloe. thanks.

I find the fitting to postcard size males me revise too. are line breaks visual or for sound or sense? what am I willing to change to fit the space?

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

So nice to hear from you! This has been an exciting revision process. I agree that the spacing/line breaks are reconsidered with the postcard size in mind.