Thursday, December 1, 2011

Happy Holidays! See you in 2012!


The academic schedule seems cushy: We generally teach in 14 week increments and seem to have a lot of vacation. Work can sometimes look like we are just staring into space…

No matter how much I love living as an academic (and being married to one), it is far from being “cushy.” We teach, in part, to be immersed in our field, contribute to it and share it with students. That means that we use much of our vacation time (and nights and weekends and meal “breaks”) to prepare to teach, teach short term classes and do our own research or creative work while reading and attending conferences in order to keep current and continue our own education. Sometimes we take on side jobs for extra cash since, well, being an academic isn’t exactly a top “1%” job.

Phew! It can be exhausting. And exhilarating. All at once. I love it. Like many creative folks, I’ve had many jobs in many fields (from aerospace to marketing to student life) and this one is, hands down, my favorite. I love it.

With all of this in mind, I’ve decided to run this three-day-a-week blog on an academic schedule. This holiday season, once I finish grading and submitting those grades, there will be some travel, some family time and lots of writing, reading and, hopefully, a bit of recouping.

I’ll see you again in 2012! Have a happy and healthy holiday season.




No comments: