Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book to Movie: Being Flynn


I can't express how excited I was to see Being Flynn, the movie based on Nick Flynn's memoir, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

I remember hearing Nick Flynn read his poetry at Sarah Lawrence College when I was a grad student (2003 - 2005.) Later, I read the memoir that the movie was based on,  which I've since taught, and his second memoir, The Ticking is the Bomb. His subject matter and approach, a snaking between scenes, poetry, personal moments, history, and chronology, draw the reader into a surreal and real world.

Watching Paul Dano as Nick Flynn and Robert DeNiro as the father was riveting. The movie, of course, is a very different entity (mainly because of the form, not the story) from the book. It is impossible, and perhaps ill-fated, to try to make the different mediums identical. I'm so happy to have read one and watched the other. If I ever stop enthusiastically lending out my copies, I might have a chance to re-read the memoir again.

Have you seen the movie? What did you think?

For more:
Focus Pictures movie page, with short interviews

Trailer

NPR interview 

NPR movie review

The Rumpus movie review




No comments: