Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shhh: Quiet


It is possible to be quiet in our nation's capital.

I talk a lot. I'd like to break this habit by spending one full day being quiet to see what happens to my concentration and writing. 

Everyday, I talk to my husband and on the phone with my parents and friends. I talk to myself while I'm working on the computer. I talk to students from online and in-person classes, as well as private clients. 

Email might be considered a form of talking. If it is, then I'm a really chatterbox. Like all writing, email is a form of communication, but I don't think it "counts" the same way that speaking aloud to someone would "count" as talking since the response is (usually) delayed.

Does Facebook count? Since posts appear right after they are written, if someone responds, a live conversation can emerge since each speaker is at a computer/mobile device.

I'm giving myself a silent challenge this Sunday. I'm going stay silent for the entire day:
no phone calls
no Facebook
no talking to anyone

I think that also means not leaving the house, in order to truly stay not only silent, but also quiet. I will allow myself to answer emails (I'm sure there will be student emails to attend to) and occasionally singing along with my Pandora station. My hope is that I will be able to focus on some poetry writing and revision while also resting a bit.

My husband will be out of town and I let him know (warned him?) about this short-term experiment.

You have now been warned as well. I'll check back in on Wednesday, after the holiday weekend, to let you know how it goes.





No comments: