Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Muse: External inspiration or your own mind?

Constantin Brancusi’s marble Sleeping Muse I, 1909-10

While I don’t believe in the idea of a muse, I could believe in Constantin Brancusi’s sculpted Sleeping Muse. The perfect ovals repeated in the overall shape and the face are so beautifully rhythmic and quieting at once. Seeing – and walking around – artwork like this inspires me to write and make new connections between ideas.

Waiting for a muse, an offering from beyond yourself, isn't the best approach to creating. Our art, in my case writing, is born from knowledge, creativity, environment, and everything else that we’ve experienced or hope to experience in our lives. It is amazing that our mind can hold so much information, draw new connections and create something new.

And so, I offer you Brancusi’s Sleeping Muse today as inspiration. Be open to experiences, ideas and emotions in order to be your own muse.  

No comments: