Thursday, August 30, 2012

Writing: Plans & the Buddy System


One of the many great places to sit and write/read at Bread Loaf


Back from Bread Loaf, I’m both excited and overwhelmed with everything I want and should/have to do for my writing. This is particularly challenging at the beginning of a new semester. 

When I work with writers as their writing coach, I know what advice to give. I recommend sketching out an outline of what needs to be done and setting goals for the writer. Like with any project, working in smaller chunks is helpful. We discuss the writers' available time and make attainable deadlines and goals.

It is always hard to take your own advice.

Luckily, I had an awesome roommate, poet Shradha Shah, at Bread Loaf and we’re committed to keep each other honest with our work. We’re setting monthly goals over the next 12 months that include writing new poems, revising, submitting and reading. We’ll workshop (virtually) and discuss poetry books together. The first step is to email each other our plans and make our first deadline.

It is always more fun to complete a project with a buddy.

How do you set goals and complete them when it comes to your creative writing?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is very reassuring to read this post and see here your comments about the planning process. by tomorrow or monday i will have a four-month plan. i'm really having good ideas about how to do this epistolary memoir. i think this is going to work! jp

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

That's great, JP! I look forward to reading more of it.