Monday, December 9, 2013

What the Powers of Description, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, & Diaper Wipe Refills Have in Common

I use Grammarly for proofreading because I made one little typo, and my mom got scared. And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air."


My six month old son’s laugher surprises and delights me. He giggles when I pull the tape off of the diaper wipe refill containers. He laughs when I crinkle paper into a ball. His eyebrows go up and he smiles when I throw that ball.  

He laughs when I laugh, which makes me laugh harder. It is a lot of fun being a mamma. And thinking about translating these experiences into words.

His delight at experiencing everything for the first time reminds me of the writing edict to describe the everyday world as if it were new. You, the writer, are experienced in your reality, or the fictional reality you’re creating, but the reader doesn’t know that particular world. 

Offer insight through your description, metaphors and creativity. Describe the world as if you’re seeing it for the first time (yes, like a child). To practice, keep this in mind while trying some of my writing prompts

Surprise your readers with your description. And remember that everything can be inspiration for something, even a 90’s sitcom starring Will Smith. 

And don’t make typos or grammar mistake cruises confuses your reader. Use Grammerly.



No comments: