Monday, July 21, 2014

Call & Response in Pank


Thanks to Nicole Rollender, I recently participated in a Call & Response in Pank Magazine. She presented a poem by Jon Anderson and I responded with a poem I'd written from my series Italian Vocabulary. 

In the introduction to the Call & Response, Nicole writes, "Michèle Foster defines call and response as “spontaneous verbal and non-verbal interaction between speaker and listener in which all of the statements (‘calls’) are punctuated by expressions (‘responses’) from the listener.” Call and response has a long history, documented in sub-Saharan Africa as a working way for groups to govern themselves democratically and participate in religious rituals; this tradition survived on slave ships over into the New World, where it has come through centuries in gospel music, folk music, military cadences, rock and roll (...)"

I hope you'll read the piece and spend some time reading Pank.

No comments: