Monday, July 14, 2014

Cross-Pollinate Literary Art Tour Reading

dress by Donna McCullough

I am looking forward to reading poems at the Smith Center for Healing and the Arts on Saturday, August 9 at 3:30 as a part of the Cross-Pollinate Literary Art Tour. Curator Melanie Figg invited poets, including Genevieve Deleon, Melanie Figg, Steve Godwin, Whitney Gratton, Danielle Kuczynski, and Reuben Silberman, to write in response to the current exhibit, Altered Ego.

I visited the exhibit and was moved by the variety of materials. There were bobby pins, toy cars, prints and more. The idea of having a writing assignment was initially intimidating, especially one that I'd read in public. After spending some time with the pieces, I found myself connecting with three sculptures. The intimacy of the pieces, one including human hair, brought me back to particular memories. While the first drafts of the response poems are very memoiristic, future drafts will (probably) move away from some of those personal details. I've been re-reading the poems every day, tweaking them and returning to photographs of the art to reconsider the relationship between the poems and the art. I look forward to seeing how the poems develop.

Click through for more: 
Cross-Pollinate: Literary Art Tour
Altered Ego exhibit (including a video and images)
Facebook invite

No comments: