Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Claim Your Writing Time: Creating a writing residency


Five minute in-class writing exercises can be generative and show that it is possible to (start to) create something in a very, very short period of time. I try to work this lesson into my own life, too, since writing time can be short.

I took the train to New Jersey alone recently and was inspired (partially by the previous Amtrak Residency) to claim the time as reading, writing and revising time. That is to say, I made the trip between Washington, D.C., and Newark, N.J., a three hour writing residency. I downloaded what I needed ahead of time (since the internet connection never really worked, as I predicted) and arrived at the train station with a clear plan of action.

I succeeded in drafting an essay, editing a previous essay and reading before spending some time gazing out the window thinking. We should never underestimate the importance of idle time thinking and letting our mind wander...

Union Station, Washington, D.C. 

A Reading Lunch

Trains!

Whoa, the internet didn't actually work. 
It was probably better that way. 






No comments: