Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Publication: Becoming a Signora in Poets Reading the News


Thank you to Poets Reading the News for publishing my piece Becoming a Signora. This journal publishes original poetry about current events. I hope you'll spend some time reading the poems in response to the news, like Catherine Strayhall's poem about gun control, Not the Time. This publication supports what William Carlos Williams famously wrote:
It is difficult
to get the news from poems
  yet men die miserably every day
    for lack
of what is found there.
The title of my piece comes from this blog post in which I wrote a bit about our time in Italy: "If I were to write a memoir about this time, I think it would be titled, "Becoming a Signora," as it feels as though I receive more respect when I speak Italian (the men listen and respond to me, instead of turning towards my English speaking husband) and our child has been embraced (folks offer their bus seats to him and everyone smiles at him.)" From that, encouragement from friends, and my visceral reaction to the news of recent rapes in Italy, came this new poem.

If the poem brings up anything for you or you are working to support someone else, you might start with these resources:

U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Italy, including resources for American Victim Assistance Programs - Sexual Assault 

RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network - USA)



No comments: